Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Monster of a Thought

Excerpt from the David Crowder and Mike Hogan book, Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven but Nobody Wants to Die. A conversation between David Crowder and his bandmate Mike Hogan:


a friend of mine, t.d.oakes, emailed me. remember him? he’s from Kentucky. always comes and hangs out when we’re up that way :DAVID

HOGAN: Yeah, absolutely.

Well, in this email he was talking about the hallel, you familiar? :DAVID

HOGAN: I want to say yes, It sounds really familiar…

well, hallel consists of 6 psalms that are recited at the Jewish celebration of Passover, a group of songs really, you know the recitation of “his love endures forever…” well that’s part of it. so you get the tone, now this might be a little crazy, but follow me…ok? :DAVID

HOGAN: Yeah.

so the night of the last supper…:DAVID

HOGAN: Yeah.

we can, with a fair amount of safety, assume that Jesus recited the hallel with his disciples the last night they were together, the night before…:DAVID

HOGAN: Oh that’s cool.

no, that’s not the cool part. I mean, I guess that’s cool, but here’s where this is going…so if we believe that scripture is inspired by God, that it is God-breathed, and if we believe Jesus was divine, that he was God incarnate, then…:DAVID

HOGAN: Oh man! I totally see where this is going!

!!!!....would it be unreasonable to wonder whether God breathed out a song that he knew he would later need in his human form? Did he know that something as simple as a bit of art could help shape the reality he saw with his human eyes and heart, that in a moment of such weight and enormity, it could make all the difference. :DAVID

HOGAN: No way! that is a monster of a thought. that God wrote a song for Himself? knowing He might need it? knowing the power art holds for us humans!?!

i think it’s a beautiful thought in the least. and if I let my mind play it all the way out, it makes Christ much more vulnerable and accessible than I’ve thought of him in a long time. I mean, to think he could need a song as much as I do sometimes? That is comforting. :DAVID

No comments:

Post a Comment