Thursday, January 26, 2012

U2 ME2

10/9/09…I have found my faith has taken a serious blow over these last months. I attended a U2 concert with David and Mike this past Tuesday. After standing in line for hours, we found ourselves 3 rows from the front of the stage. In an arena of 80,000 people we were within mere feet of reaching out and touching the Edge. That was cool. I can’t say the music was exceptional as I prefer the earlier U2’s raw edged sound that was captured on their CD, Under a Blood Red Sky. However, being that close to the band was an unbelievable experience. To see the humility of Larry Mullen, the ever present coy smirk of Adam Clayton, the guitar mastery of the Edge, and the grandiose over the top Bono was surreal.

I must say I can relate to U2’s song, “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” It is a testament of becoming a zealot for Christ and then realizing at some point that the answer was not found in and of itself in giving your life to Christ. The zealousness is replaced by a hard dose of reality, one suggesting that everything is against you; including at times the church, sometimes those closest to me, sometimes my own Christian brethren, and worse of all, myself.

I still haven’t found what I’m looking for and never will on this earth. I remain a lost pilgrim trying not to attach himself to this world. What a daunting journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment