Thursday, January 19, 2012

Part 17 of 18: A Homeless Journey Looking Back: Douglas

6/7/09…Another distinct personality I met in the first few months was Douglas. We only met twice, the first time at the Opportunity Center and then a second time when I went down there on my own one night later to deliver some food and clothing. Serving God on Wednesday nights with all the churches is one thing, but it is a whole different experience when venturing into the city on your own. However, during the first couple of weeks God was moving my heart and when I came across Douglas one night, I could not turn my back on his clothing requests. The winter temperatures were going to be in the teens and he was pleading for something warm since he lived out of his car. So on a Thursday night, I head downtown somewhat lost because I am not from Jackson, Mississippi nor do I really know the location of the Opportunity Center. Douglas tells me to meet him at 8:00 pm and says I will know it is him by his green car. As I ride through Jackson, I am asking God for his protection, and yet I wonder if this is the same prayer many residents pray every day who live within these impoverished city limits. After a couple of wrong turns, I find the Center, spot Douglas’s car, and pull up beside him in the dark of night. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice one other person there who is rummaging through a dumpster.

Douglas sees me, and steps out of his car to greet me. I notice a Bible lies on top of his backseat. His car is dented all over, no hubcaps, stuffed with things, and dirty from lack of washing. This is where he will sleep tonight. I notice he is a thin man with his cheeks sunken in probably indicating he is a lot younger than he appears to be. I wish I could remember the details of his story but it is months later as I am writing this and I cannot. Yet, the memory of this encounter stays with me. Douglas is gracious, thankful, and warmly receives me as we talk. The reason I remember Douglas is because of this; he says he appreciates the street ministry people. So many times he sees people come, drop off clothing or food, and then leave without actually speaking to anyone. But us, we actually try to learn their names and talk with them.

After more dialogue with Douglas who references God on many occasions, I ask him if I can pray for him. He says yes so I do. He asks me for money for gas so he can look for a job and keep warm in his car, but unfortunately I did not bring any with me. I tell him I will come by tomorrow night and bring him a gas card. And so I do, except he is not there and I never see him again. This is the toughest part about this ministry. Many times after making a connection with someone, we never see them again after 2 or 3 times. They move on. Out loud Malcolm says this is a good thing because it may mean they have found a job or housing to get off the streets, but deep down inside I struggle that this is truly the case. I hope Douglas is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment