Wednesday, September 14, 2011

v of vi: To believe requires “faith,” not answers.

And so the questions continue…and what I realize is You require me walking in “faith,” not in answers. But Father, if you may, at least humor me with further reflections.

The Protestants; Lutheran, Baptist, Episcopal, Anglican, Pentecostal, Methodist, Moravian, Presbyterian, Mennonite, Amish, and so on. The list is quite extensive. Protestants have in truth only been around for five hundred years or so…a very brief time. I have heard enough testimonies to know that the Protestant way is real, and now I am realizing the Catholic faith is just as real. Why was there such fear in sharing this history with me when I was growing up? What are they scared of? It seems if our faith is true it will endure historical lessons. After all it seems no matter how much knowledge is presented, in the end to believe in You requires “faith,” not answers. For is it not true even with answers, our eyes are still blinded. Even today I am dating someone who was Baptist and decided to practice Catholicism, and everyone around her in the Bible Belt lamented against her as if her soul was doomed to eternal damnation. And then I read an online piece by a messenger of Yours whom I highly respect and in his worship of religion, he condemned a Catholic mass and had to walk out because he was “disgusted.” Again Father, it is hard for me to understand these things. Is it really our place to judge? Are we worshipping religion or are we worshipping You? I understand Your Word says be aware of false doctrine and teaching but is this really the responsibility of leaders, or is there not a better way for a leader to teach history and religious differences, and then let Your Holy Spirit guide the individual seeker? As in both Catholic and Protestant religions is it not true it is a matter of faith? In both, there are those who go to the Church, and church, but live according to the world. To them You say depart from Me because You never knew them. And yet in both, are there not those who pursue You, sometimes with reckless passion, and to them You say welcome. Different avenues. Same ending. What do I believe? I believe,

You are One; God, Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit…

Jesus Christ is the only way to my eternal salvation…

Faith without works is dead…

Living a life of intentional sin because I have been forgiven has no part in You…

I must continually ask for forgiveness for my sins, because unfortunately I will continue to sin. Therefore asking for forgiveness is not a onetime deal if I want to maintain an intimate relationship with You…

If my life is not changing and conforming to who Christ was, and how He was my living example, then You may indeed have every right to say depart from me, because I never knew you…

And now I am crossing the line into too much theology and need to back off. I fear this may only lead to “venom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment