Monday, September 12, 2011

iv of vi: Is it true Martin Luther hated Jews?

After one thousand five hundred years, or 1500 A.D., it happened, the start of the Protestant Reformation. For 1500 years there was no such thing as a Protestant, so what happened Lord? Did the Catholic Church for a time lose itself and in Your divine hand You intervened through a flawed person in Martin Luther? Or did Satan take over, much like he did in Job, but You used it for Your glory? Or did You do this in order to expand who You are to the lost? In the beginning You started with Jews, then through Christ You opened Yourself to the Gentiles. Was the Protestant Reformation another way to reveal Yourself? Do You even care about religion? I am talking religion Lord, not fellowship or worship? Did You see the Catholic Church after one thousand five hundred years drifting from who You are, so You had to open up another path through the thoughts of a flawed human being? Would it not have been easier just to reveal Yourself? Or was this simply Satan deceiving and causing a rift in the Church beyond repair? Or did You once again create good out of something that was bad? I can’t help but think even through the flawed person of Martin Luther that there was truth there, and You used him to reveal it. In no way does it seem that it negated the Catholic Church, it seems that it opened another avenue of truth to You. I hope what I am writing is truth. I hope I am not being used by Satan to write falsely of You. Martin Luther was indeed a flawed person just like the rest of us.

However, what really brought me to my knees in a literal sense is when I read that Martin Luther had such hatred for the Jews, Your chosen people. At first, if I understand the accounts correct, he had empathy and thought if a different approach could be shared with them, they might turn. But later in life when he realized this would not be the case, he wrote some words which quite frankly Father are anti-Semitic. Father, this is the man who lit the spark for the Protestant Reformation. And Father how could this man who spent countless hours studying Your Word and even translating it to German not understand. Your Word in the Old Testament clearly says You have hid from the Jews, at least most of them, who their Messiah would be. It says so in Your Word. For whatever reason, You are doing this in order to show Your glory when Your Son returns and at that moment their eyes will open and all glory will go to You. How is it Martin Luther did not understand this? Surely I am missing something. I have not heard anyone ever mention this fact about Martin Luther. In fact most regard him as highly as a saint. I am a little dumbfounded. The man whom You used gave me an avenue to my salvation different from the Catholic creed, but he was a hater of Your people.

No comments:

Post a Comment