Sunday, January 31, 2016

Scoffer

7/25/12…Before I am able to get past the first twelve chapters, I keep coming back to this verse in Proverbs, He who corrects a scoffer gets shame for himself. I am unable to get past these words. I look up scoffer and understand it to mean an expression of mockery, derision, doubt, or derisive scorn; jeer. I was not expecting the word doubt to appear within the definition.  Doubt is a feeling of uncertainty about the truth, reality, or nature of something. I look up the word shame but find nothing on a deeper level. Certainly I understand correcting a scoffer is fruitless. I ask God if there are any scoffers currently in my life or ones in my past. As I am sure there are, only one comes to mind, and this hits a little too close to home.

The part I am unable to process through is the shame. Why would correcting a scoffer bring shame? I understand a scoffer might mock in return, or express derision, maybe even jeer. There could be doubt expressed. But why would this bring shame on me? I would probably just dismiss this person, or choose never to reengage. Father, the true meaning of what Solomon wrote eludes me.

I fear the knowledge may only present itself when it occurs to me. After all, words in the Bible do not come to life until we live them in experience. However, this sounds like an experience I would rather avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment