Saturday, January 30, 2016

Abominations Postlude

7/25/12…A final thought or two on abominations (see previous entry). In my life, I always thought the word abomination meant stirring up anger or hatred towards something. Now I know there is another meaning.

I also must unexpectedly acknowledge the way I viewed the two men who seemed to sow discord amongst the brethren has changed. At first, I passed judgment on them, and their behavior really detested me. I questioned whether this church was even the right place for my wife and I. In my heart, I sinned against both of them with my self-righteousness. Indeed, my pride put myself above them. This sort of disgusts me, but alas this is my confession.

This is the surprising part. Later my feelings turned into despondency. This I did not expect. Then my despondency turned into compassion for my brothers. Yes, abomination means stirring up anger or hatred towards something, and yet with Christ in me, these feelings eventually transitioned to compassion. This makes me wonder if my Father in heaven feels the same way, and somehow when those who spew abomination sermons from the pulpit actually miss the total picture.

Certainly the timing of reading this passage along with my real-life experience is curious. Proverbs 2:10 When knowledge is pleasant to my soul, discretion will preserve me; understanding will keep me, to deliver me from the way of evil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment