Saturday, February 7, 2015

Illicit a Response of Action

5/16/12…What strikes me when reading through Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, and now 1 Samuel, is the word stiff-necked. It is eye opening to read how often God’s people loved God and repented of their sins, but soon thereafter became stiff-necked. Time after time, they disposed of God’s love and guidance, and furthermore showed ambivalence towards His power. Hmm…I wonder if I am no better. Maybe the Israelites are a reflection of me. Surely at times I appear stiff-necked towards Him with repeated sin. Surely at times I begin relying on my own guidance versus His guidance in my life. Surely at times I do not seek Him out with all my heart and soul.

So now towards the end of June, I have read through 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, and 2 Kings. I am depressed. King after King did evil in the sight of God and decided not to follow His ways, but am I any better? Only a King here and there such as Josiah did what was right in the sight of God. And I think, why? Why would evil King after evil King endure the horrendous response of God in their lives when they have seen His blessings and peace with Kings such as Josiah. Why? Even David gave away God’s blessings for sex and murder. There were even son’s of Kings who saw their fathers doing what was right in the sight of God, but decided not to follow, and instead did evil.

Many times when the word stiff-necked appears, the word provoke appears soon after. I looked up the dictionary meaning and the definition is “to illicit a response of action”. Over and over the Kings of Israel and Judah did so much evil, abomination, and idolatry, God was provoked to action. In my life, I wonder if I ever provoked Him? I hope my pride does not think the possibility does not exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment