Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Visiting Churches

11/12/10…My wife and I have been visiting churches in the area. Can’t say this has been the most enjoyable experience. The reason is because of the awkwardness of it all. It’s kinda like visiting someone’s extended family for dinner when you know no one there. All the right things are said like “nice to see you,” “glad you could make it,” and such but you are still not part of the family. Becoming part of a church family takes time, especially to get beyond the surface conversation. Indeed, sometimes I feel like a weatherman.

One of the intriguing observations for me has been this. No two churches are alike, even if they are of the same denomination. Each can serve the spiritual needs of those who attend, but not every church community nourishes a believer in the same way. Therefore one has to find the fit. That is the difficult part. We may pray to God for guidance, but we must still do our due diligence, or at least that seems to be what my wife and I are going through. Sometimes it feels like we are left on our own and therefore I try not to bother God by asking ad nausea. However, I must admit it sure would be nice if He just told us out loud where to go and what to do, but alas maybe I am missing a lesson in all this, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment