Friday, May 13, 2011

Part 12 of 18: On the Street

2/21/09…When I say street ministry, what comes to one’s mind? I never gave this much thought until someone close to me imagined the exact opposite of what the Jackson Street Ministry team does, and then I realized there is a stereotype out there. Over and over again, when I speak of this ministry, people picture me with a megaphone on the sidewalk yelling at people to convert to God or go to Hell. In some minds, I am waving my Bible high into the air and preaching fire and brimstone to anyone who will listen. It is amazing to me that this stereotype exists and yet it does, I guess due in part to those who have and are doing it to this day. I suppose there is a place for this but for us this is so far removed from what we actually do. Our purpose is to show love by building relationships with others. Our purpose is to truly care for those who cross our paths. Then if the Holy Spirit guides, then we share what God’s redemption has done for us. I am not sure you can love or build relationships with someone by continually yelling at them. Instead this is our desire; to serve our God and make ourselves available for His glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment