Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Unconditional Love is NOT Compromise

2/6/12…I recently wrote regarding marriage not being a compromise. So many people in my life have reiterated marriage is about compromising or finding some common ground to what the other person wants. The thing is; I still disagree with this statement. In compromise, each person loses. No one wins. Indeed, I still believe passion does not exist in compromise.

Marriage is NOT compromise. Some would say unconditional love is also equated to compromising; i.e. give up something of yourself in order to love someone else unconditionally. And yet if I let this thought ruminate in the recesses of my mind, I cannot help but also think unconditional love is NOT compromise. Unconditional love is about giving up something of ourselves without any expectation of anything in return. It is the purest form of love, especially when done to others who actually despise you or are indifferent to you.

The only way to love unconditionally is to have passion. When I begin compromising is when I lose passion. When I lose passion is when I lose the ability to love unconditionally. Why? Because my mind is telling me I am losing something. 

In my life, Christ has been the only one to ever stir passion within me. What I now fight as a husband is this incorrect thinking of compromising in order to make my wife happy. Compromising eventually leads to a deadening of love. Passion soon leaves. The façade becomes exhausting. 

The only hope is stirring my passion for Christ in all seasons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment