Thursday, December 23, 2010

More than Just a Merry Christmas

12/23/2010…My original plan was to end the 2010 year with a hearty “Merry Christmas” to all who may be following my blog of past journal entries leading up to the present day and beyond.

But this morning I received an early morning text from Bob back in Mississippi. It said “Terry wants to see you next Wednesday.” I read the text and was stunned, actually am still stunned. In the New Year, I will post Part 10, a story about Alma. I just finished posting Part 9. Between these two postings is a “God thing” as my friend David puts it. Both these postings are connected and there is redemption at work by God on my behalf, something of which I do not deserve. Indeed, there will be an outcome that is uncertain, but what is certain is a divine appointment has been set when I return to Mississippi next week.

My original plan was traveling with Melody to see her parents in Sumrall, Mississippi. Then we were thinking of driving up to Jackson, Mississippi on Monday to see Bridgett and Bob and his family. That was the plan. Now there is a different plan. I ask myself. How far is it worth me to go to potentially save a soul? How much comfort am I willing to forego just to have an opportunity to tell someone about Christ? How much inconvenience am I willing to endure for an uncertain possibility that may fizzle out? There are no guarantees.

I have not seen or talked with Terry in almost two years. We met briefly on the streets of Jackson and talked about surface matters. I did not preach to him, instead I tried to build a relationship, but he was hesitant to let me inside his world, so I respected his walls. I invited him to come with me to a Double A Braves game in Mississippi several times but he declined.

Terry was trying to figure out why we came down to the inner city of Jackson. Were we trying to be good Christians and put notches on our belt? Were we trying to make our rich selves feel better by coming down there to do our Christian duty and then return to the comfort of our homes? What was our intent? What were we trying to get out of this? Surely all of us who were coming down there were doing it for some selfish reason, otherwise why come at all? When a person is living in the world, these will be the natural questions to ask because this is what the world sells. Self. Following Christ though means turning selfishness into unselfishness and in its purest form, not expecting anything in return. This is the motive behind those who serve in the Jackson Street Ministry, nothing more.

And so now, almost two years later, I receive an early morning text that says “Terry wants to see you next Wednesday.” I think I am going to go.


Merry Christmas…

No comments:

Post a Comment