Monday, May 20, 2013

Priorities out of whack...

1/31/11…Something has been buggin me. Something is not quite right. Something is out of sorts. Hmmm…that something I believe is me. What happened? I suppose I could write a short book about that, but for now I think I need to address what is going on with me; my priorities are out of whack. When I put some categories down on a spreadsheet and ranked where I was currently at versus where it should be, the result was not exactly something I want to brag about;

Presently
What it should be
Work
God
TV
Marriage
House
Son
Marriage
Friends
Finances
Exercise
God
Serve
Son
Finances
Friends
Work
Serve
House
Exercise
TV

Regarding “what it should be,” I could make the case for switching exercise and friends, at least until I once again am healthy, or even moving serve up the list ahead of friends, but other than these three, I think the list of “what it should be” is fairly accurate regarding the top third, the middle third, and the bottom third. However the reality I am living in is represented by the “present” list. Even with this list, I could argue switching a couple of those around, but the bottom line is the top third, the middle third, and the bottom third are once again fairly accurate. The result is this. I am a person who is not too content most of the time, is prone to days of sullenness and pessimism, and in general is not building relationships or serving others. That’s a pretty bleak picture if I do not change. Notice I said I. I is the one who can make the decisions. I is the one who can yield to God. God is the one who will bring fruit back into my life, not me. If I continue down the path I am on, my fruit is only superficial and serves only selfish purposes, even though I may put on a real good front. But one thing I have learned over all those years of not making God numero uno is this; putting on a real good front is exhausting. It is better for me to swallow my pride, admit my failings, and ask for help, both from God and others. Only then can I begin making the correct decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment