Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Returning to the Streets of Jackson

12/29/10…Last night, Melody and I drove up from Sumrall, Mississippi to Jackson, Mississippi to meet our brothers and sisters in Christ who serve in the cold desolate streets. For me, I placed no expectations on this visit, other than realizing sometimes losing sleep is a good thing. For Melody, she wanted to experience the street ministry first hand. She had heard and read stories of my experiences and wanted to better understand what her husband was going through in his journey with Christ.
 
However, the one hope I had was meeting Terry. I wrote about him in a previous Christmas blog entry (link). After Bob texted me that Terry wanted to see me when I came down to Mississippi, I felt compelled to go. After all, serving God is easy when it is comfortable and convenient, but I think He wants me stepping out of my comfort and convenience more and more. It seems the times I can feel Him more are the times I am stepping out in faith and serving, letting Him know I am going for His glory, and if He desires to use me, then I am present. There is something transcending when I am going for God to use me versus me going in my own power. When I lay it all down before Him, I am giving in to expectations. I realize there are no guarantees in the outcome. Therefore something great and wonderful may happen, but equally something great and wonderful may happen because nothing happens. Once again, a spiritual paradox presents itself when I strive to do good to glorify my Father.
 
Such is the case with meeting Terry tonight.
 
But…Terry did not show.

No comments:

Post a Comment