Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pain and Faith

10/17/10…Father, I called and heard her pain. The tears were still fresh, this much I could sense over the phone. What do you offer someone who is reeling from hurt? I could offer nothing, and really did not offer many words other than letting her know Melody and I hurt for her.

When I first met her, she was in the cold streets of Jackson. Her reputation preceded her through the circles of the street ministry. Each Wednesday night I saw her around the Opportunity Center with the trunk of her car wide open, ready to serve hot meals to the homeless and down and out. As I sought to comfort others, I would notice her and her daughters out of the corner of my eye. Bridgett always had a smile on her face and there was radiance in her demeanor, much like Guitar-man. Bridgett got it. Her joy in Christ overtook her life. Her husband however, did not quite get it. This troubled Bridgett but in no way did it quench her joy to be a beacon of light to those who had little hope. She just kept her eyes above.

As I began serving in the street ministry, soon there was a tinge of pride knowing I was serving You. As my service continued, I began to learn more about my sister in Christ. And Father, you always have a way of humbling me. Where I was serving once on Wednesdays, I found out Bridgett was literally in the streets every day and night. She had no hobby because her hobby was You. In the summer months, she would drive around and ensure those who had a need were provided water and an encouraging word. In the winter months, she would ensure a hot meal was provided to those not in shelters. The amazing thing to me is not only would she serve those in view, she would find the areas of the city covered by forest and debris, and trek into these encampments. She went where most men would not go. She would go where You would go Father.

And I was humbled to know this and I was humbled to know how far I still had to go.

I learned Bridgett had a degree in business from Jackson State University, but she did not readily offer this information. Instead of seeking work in the world, her work was in the kingdom. An opportunity arose after years in the street for her to oversee a homeless transition shelter for women and children. I might add for no pay. Her husband earned a meager salary delivering uniforms around the area. At one point, I even learn her family had no place to live and were evicted from their home. And yet Father, their eviction did not seem to weigh on her joy in serving. She rested in You, placed all trust in You and gave You her entire life. She loved You with all her heart, soul and mind. She expected nothing in return.

As I got to know her, it became clear that her husband’s soul troubled her greatly. He would attend church with her, but beyond this would not actively participate with Bridgett in serving others. Father, I am not sure, but it sounds like he had not yet surrendered to You. Bridgett was at a loss regarding what to do. Clearly she loved him and wanted to see him come to you Father. We had some conversations regarding her husband but all I could do was offer a listening ear. I will say her husband provided for the family the best he could while Bridgett served others. In this way Father, You blessed Bridgett with a husband who stayed with her and provided for her three daughters.

And now her husband is dead.

What do I say to someone who faithfully has given You all her life and asked for nothing in return? What is the reason for allowing this? I know leaning on my own understanding is fruitless, but Kerry is gone. What do I say? As my lament subsides, I realize I say nothing. Starting late last year, I have been in a valley, almost despondent beyond repair. And yet my valley pales in comparison to hers. And how either one of us responds in this valley is now the true reflection of our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment